Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Welcome to Art Attack

I started this blog as a place to post my creative endeavors.  Drawing, crocheting and furniture painting are the most recent mediums I express myself with.  However, I have an extensive background in art and am currently looking to take some fun, non-credit art classes to get back into my old love.

I also want to use this blog as a place to spread the joy, love and knowledge of art that I have.

A little history of myself:

I started drawing as a young girl.  When I was 4, I drew a picture of Donald Duck that looked dam close to the real one.  Unfortunately, it was never saved :(  For as long as I can remember, I received art supplies for both Christmases and birthdays and always used them up but the next present was due.

Since the art classes in school were general, my parents signed me up for outside lessons on Saturday mornings.  I still remember the studio and the teacher.  When they moved to a larger location I stopped going.  They changed the class schedule and I had gotten older and didn't want to spend my weekend mornings in class.  One of the pieces I drew while in these classes is hanging in my old middle school.  My art teacher entered it into the school contest when I submitted for my portfolio for the high school art program.  I tied for 1st with another student.  Funny, I remember buying a new bed-in-a-bag from Caldor with the money I got!

As I stated, I applied to the high school art program and was accepted.  It was 3 years with 2 classes per year.  The classes were divided by halves.  The first two marking periods were one class, while the last two were another.  These classes included drawing, print-shop, pottery, photography, painting and one other I can not remember. To this day I still remember the art center, the way it smells and looked and the feeling I got when I created something I loved.

Continuing that feeling into college was what I wanted.  I was accepted at the Art Institute of Philadelphia after a semester at a non-art school.  It was the best decision I ever made!  I had chosen to major in Interior Design and AiPh was a great school.  I honed my creative skills and found a love for design that I knew I had but never really thought much about - side note, when I was younger I used to create entire homes with furniture and appliances out of index cards.  I would spend hours working on them.  I know what a dork huh?  So while I knew I loved homes and designing, I never really thought I would be a designer.  I graduated with my Associates Degree of Technical Science in Interior Design in 2001.  In 2007 I received my Bachelor's of Science in Interior Design from the Art Institute online.

My professional career didn't include must actual art work until I started my last job in 2006.  I was fortunate enough to work along side the resident artist and produce many hand drawn and rendered projects for clients.  It was by far my most favorite job to date.  That aspect of it anyway.

I began crocheting in February 2009 after a friend of mine passed away.  It has become a wonderful form of design for me now that I am disabled and no longer able to work.

That brings us to today and this new blog.  I hope that you will find some pieces you like and feel free to let me know what you don't like.  I am all about constructive criticism!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay. Can't wait to see more of your work!!! I had no idea you had this much interest in art. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete